FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I think I might have a gas leak. What should I do?
To report a leak 24 hours per day, please call the City of Thomasville Energy Control Center (ECC) office at (229) 227-5499.
If you smell gas or think you may have a gas leak within your home or business:
- Leave the house or business immediately
- Do not operate any electrical appliances (lights, phone, computers, etc.).
Call the Thomasville Natural Gas Department from outside of the home or business at 229-227-5499.
Is Natural Gas service available in my area?
Thomasville Natural Gas services the City of Thomasville and portions of Thomas County. To verify service in your area, please call the Thomasville Natural Gas Department at (229) 227-6989 or (229) 227-7038. The Natural Gas Department is located at 944 Smith Avenue.
How do I apply for natural gas service?
If you are interested in the availability of natural gas at your location, please call the City's Engineering Department at (229) 227-3263 or visit the Engineering office at 411 West Jackson Street. The Engineering staff will be able to assist you in determining if natural gas is available at your location and will be able to provide you with information regarding gas tap fees and account establishment.
Should I always call before I start to dig?
YES. Always Call Before You Dig 1-800-282-7411 or 811 or visit http://www.gaupc.com/.
See the City of Thomasville/ Thomas County White Line Ordinances
If digging requires any type of mechanical device, please call before you dig. Mechanical devices include: excavator, auger, trenchers, etc. Our goal is to keep it safe for the worker and the customer.
What are the benefits of using gas in my home or business?
There are several benefits of using gas.
- Natural gas is the dominant energy source for home heating with more than 53% of American homes using gas. Natural gas will continue to be a major U.S. energy source into the 21st century.
- Natural gas is America’s best energy value. That's why natural gas use has increased by 35% over the last decade, and is projected to grow by 40% by 2015. On average, electricity costs three (3) times more to use in your home than natural gas.
- Natural gas is "Made in America." 99% of the supplies used in the U.S. are produced in North America, and there are abundant supplies.
- Natural gas is safe and reliable. The 1.3 million mile underground natural gas pipeline delivery system has an outstanding safety record.
- Natural gas is a wise environment choice because it is the cleanest and most efficient fossil fuel. Most electricity comes from coal, which produces far more emissions than natural gas. Unlike electricity, natural gas produces no solid waste.
Is the Thomasville Natural Gas affected by deregulation in Georgia?
NO. Deregulation is voluntary and applies only to investor-owned utilities. Municipal systems, like Thomasville Natural Gas, are exempt from deregulation. This means that Thomasville Natural Gas will continue to be your sole natural gas provider. Therefore you do not have to worry about dealing with two different companies. All you need is one reliable service! We are YOUR gas utility!!!